News & Events
Chemistry Notes on Acids and Base for SSC Exam
- April 21, 2017
- Posted by: TopRankers
- Category: SSC Resources
Chemistry Notes on Acids and Base for the preparation of SSC exams like CGL, MTS, CHSL, JE etc.
Chemistry Notes for SSC Exam
General Science is one of the major subjects of any competitive examination as well as the most scoring one if the candidate does sufficient preparation. SSC changed the pattern of SSC CGL & CHSL Exam Tier I where each question which carries 2 marks can be difficult. It need not be the case. This article aims to cover important notes on Acids and Base for SSC Exam.
Chemistry Notes for SSC Exam : Notes on Acids and Base
- Acids obtained from plants and animals are known as organic acid – oxalic acid, lactic acid. On the other hand, acids that are obtained from minerals are called mineral acids – Sulphuric acid, phosphoric acid etc. Acids are sour in taste and bases are bitter in taste and soapy to touch.
Important Acids and their presence:
|Name of Acids||Present in|
|Formic Acid||Red ants’ sting|
|Tartaric Acid||Grapes, unripe mangoes|
|Citric Acid||Citrus Fruits|
- pH value is a measure of acidity or base in an aqueous solution. A solution whose pH is less than 7 is Acidic in nature and above pH above 7 is considered as basic in nature.
pH values of some important solutions:
- Buffer Solutions are the solutions that resist the change in its pH value on addition of a small amount of acid or base. Acidic buffer solution has pH value greater than 7.
- pH value of blood is maintained with the help of H2CO3 /HCO3 buffer inspite of acidic foods we eat.
- When acids acidic and basic solutions are mixed in proper proportion and their own nature is destroyed, a salt is formed.
- Acids turn blue litmus to red and bases turn red into blue.
- Neutralization reaction means the formation of salts by mixing base and acid. Simple examples related to neutralization can be the process of indigestion. Our stomach contains Hydrochloric acid that’s helps to digest food, however, too much acidic nature of food leads to indigestion. In order get relief from indigestion, we are advised to take antacid such as milk that contains magnesium hydroxide. Now, this helps in neutralizing the effect of excessive acid.
Chemistry Notes for SSC Exam : Additional information:
Physical and Chemical changes
Physical changes – refer to NCERT class 7 and Chemical changes refer to NCERT class 7-10th
- RBI Grade B Recruitment 2017 : Job Profile, Salary, Eligibility – Check Here May 1, 2017
- SSC MTS Slot 2 Cancelled – 30th April, Official Notice May 1, 2017
- Lakshmi Vilas Bank PO Admit Card 2017 April 30, 2017
- Sure Shot Test Based on SSC MTS 30th April 2017 Actual Exam Pattern April 30, 2017
- SSC MTS Exam Analysis 30th April 2017 Slot 2 April 30, 2017