On 5 May 2016 IPS Officer Kumar Rajesh Chandra got appointed as the Chief of Bureau of Civil Aviation Security.
Chandra has been appointed in place of IPS officer G S Malhi.
• Chandra is a 1985 batch IPS officer of Bihar cadre.
• He is currently working as Additional Director General (Modernisation), Bihar Police.
• BCAS acts as regulatory authority for civil aviation security.
• In January 1978, the BCAS was established as a department of the Directorate General of Civil Aviation.
• BCAS became an independent agency of the Ministry of Civil Aviation on 1 April 1987 after the 1985 bombing of Air India Flight 182.
• The main responsibility of BCAS is to lay down standards and measures in respect of security of civil flights at international and domestic airports in India.