on 30 April 2016 The Supreme Court of India decided to extend the deadline for keep out diesel cabs in National Capital Region (NCR).
Earlier deadline was 1 April 2016, but it was extended for a month.
• Extension was given so that private cab companies could switch to CNG vehicles by 1 May 2016.
• Supreme Court allowed Delhi Police and Delhi Jal Board to buy and register the new diesel-run vehicles of 2000 cc engine capacity and above for transportation of under trial prisoners, arms and ammunition and supply of water.
• SC Had stopped sale of diesel SUVs and luxury cars with more than 2000 cc engine capacity in 2015.
• Later SC asked Delhi Police to pay 30 percent of the real value of the vehicle to be purchased by it as Environment Compensation Charge (ECC) or green cess as a pre-condition for their registration with the transport department.
• SC, exempted Delhi Jal Board (DJB) from paying ECC on the ground that around 250 water tankers would be supplying water to the citizens of the city.
• The court allowed the plea of police and allowed to register on payment of ECC.